Sustainability and Green Team
The Green Team’s mission is to initiate waste reduction and
school-wide sorting; enhance our garden learning program; and advocate for sustainability for both school and PFC functions.
- Garden Program: Several organic, edible, and ornamental garden areas at Thornhill provide an outdoor classroom forhands-on science instruction. Garden instruction is integrated with science curriculum and supports our sustainability goals of making the school greener, healthier, and more aware of the natural environment and life processes.
- TerraCycle: We have purchased 4 TerraCycle boxes for the recycling of plastic-based snack wrappers (https://shop.terracycle.com/products/candy-and-snack-wrappers-zero-waste-box), plastic packaging (https://shop.terracycle.com/en-US/products/plastic-packaging-zero-waste-boxes?taxon_id=44), disposable masks (https://shop.terracycle.com/en-US/products/masks-zero-waste-boxes?taxon_id=44), and Pens, Markers, and Pencils (https://shop.terracycle.com/en-US/products/pens-pencils-and-markers-zero-waste-box?taxon_id=44).
- Healthy Bodies, Healthy Lives: honoring the importance of including healthy food options at all school-wide events.
- School Grounds: litter elimination, landscaping/beautifying, supporting responsibility and accountability, and a positive sense of community collaboration.
- Student Education: tricks and tips around environmental best practices (reuse, recycle, reduce, re-purpose).
- Waste Reduction & Sorting: Providing resources to optimize compost and recycling in classrooms, cafeteria, and at-school events; shifting to compostable and reusable products at school-wide events.
- OUSD EFG Champion Program: We have joined the new OUSD Environment, Food, and Garden (EFG) Program as the Thornhill EFG Champions to promote awareness of and involvement in our sustainability and garden programs. This position connects us to the amazing educational activities and resources at The Center (https://sites.google.com/ousd.org/thecenteredprogramming) and provides support for our gardening and sustainability programs.