CALENDAR | STAY CONNECTED | NEWSLETTER | COMMITTEES |
VOLUNTEER | THORNHILL NIGHT AT THE A'S | SPRING FLING | DADS CLUB | SUSTAINABILITY
Sustainability and Green Team
The Green Team’s mission is to initiate waste reduction and
school-wide sorting; enhance our garden learning program; and advocate for sustainability for both school and PFC functions.
- Garden Program: Several organic, edible, and ornamental garden areas at Thornhill provide an outdoor classroom forhands-on science instruction. The program is currently offered to TK through 2nd grade classes during the school day, and after school enrichment classes are offered to 1st through 5th grade classes. Garden instruction is integrated with science curriculum and supports our sustainability goals of making the school greener, healthier, and more aware of the natural environment and life processes.
- ColorCycle: recycling all spent markers. In our inaugural year, we collected an astounding 86 LBS of dried markers from our collection bins. The markers will be shipped to a facility to where they will be converted into clean fuel. This fuel can be used to power vehicles, heat homes, and cook meals--all while keeping tons of plastic out of landfills each year.
- Healthy Bodies, Healthy Lives: honoring the importance of including healthy food options at all school-wide events.
- School Grounds: litter elimination, landscaping/beautifying, supporting responsibility and accountability, and a positive sense of community collaboration.
- Student Education: tricks and tips around environmental best practices (reuse, recycle, reduce, re-purpose).
- Waste Reduction & Sorting: Providing resources to optimize compost and recycling in classrooms, cafeteria, and at-school events; shifting to compostable and reusable products at school-wide events.